The Public Works Department of the Village of Rochester exists to maintain, enhance, and expand the infrastructure and physical plant within the jurisdiction of the Village. Infrastructure and physical plant include a water distribution system, sanitary and storm sewer systems, streets and alleys, parks and public grounds, and public and Village-owned facilities. The Public Works Department operates within the policies and budgets set by the Board of Trustees as administered by the Village Manager and Superintendent of Public Works.
In striving to fulfill its mission, the Public Works Department bases its priorities and activities upon these principles:
- The quality of life for residents and taxpayers of the Village should be maintained as necessary; enhanced when possible; and expanded when appropriate.
- Maintenance, enhancement, and expansion should be as seamless and invisible as possible in order that little or no disruption to the flow of Village life is felt by residents.
- Due to the seasonal nature of public works projects, priorities for work will vary season to season.
- Response to needs will be immediate as necessitated by concerns for these priorities:
- Public Safety
- Disruption of the flow of Village life