Below are some commonly asked questions. If your question does not appear below please feel free to contact us at the Village Hall Office (217) 498-7192.

You must have a building permit for structures or structural changes including but not limited to the following: new buildings, roof replacements, siding, fences, storage sheds, and alterations to the electrical, HVAC and plumbing systems. Decorating such as painting and wallpapering do not require a building permit.

Yes, a building permit is required to replace a roof. That includes do-it-yourself or contract projects. You may make minor maintenance repairs such as patch a leak or replace missing shingles without a permit.

Every person owning property through which a watercourse passes, or such person’s lessee, shall keep and maintain that part of the watercourse within the property free of trash, debris, excessive vegetation, sediment and other obstacles that would pollute, contaminate, or any way retard the flow of water through the watercourse. RVC Section 32-1-11

You may NOT build or construct any type of fence or other structure including a portable building in any Village easement. Variances are allowed provided they show that the use of the easement by the Village is not in any way negatively impacted. The Zoning Board reviews variance requests and makes a recommendation to the Village Board.

Complete and submit a Request for Variation form and the $75.00 fee to the Village Office. When you submit the completed form you will be given the date that the request will go before the Zoning Board of Appeals.

Yes. You must have a building permit for most structure, structural change, or fence. You must call J.U.L.I.E. to have your utilities located before doing any digging. J.U.L.I.E. is a free locator service and can be reached at 1-800-892-0123 or you may call 8-1-1.

There is a leash law. The owner or keeper of a dog shall keep the dog under restraint at all times. Restraint is defined as controlled by a leash, within an enclosed vehicle being driven or parked on the streets; or within the property limits of his owner or keeper. The village has a contract with Sangamon County Animal Control house. If your dog is picked up you will be responsible for all animal control costs associated with your dog.

You are not allowed to stop, stand or park a vehicle: on a sidewalk, alongside a mailbox or in front of a public or private driveway. RVC Section 23-6-4.

Except as provided for in other regulations, no inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. RVC Section 29-3-12

You cannot have a burn barrel for trash. You may have one for yard waste. 

Open burning of dry lanscape waste is permited between 8:00 A.M. and dusk, provided a person 18 years of age or older is present. All fires must be extinguished by dusk and may not be left to smolder. (Ord 19-03)

Open burning is permitted after dusk for fires maintained in suitable vessels or structures for the cooking of food and for fully supervised “recreational” fires. RVC Section 29-9-3

Utility bills are due the on the 15th of each month. The Village Office has a drop box for your convenience on the west end of the parking lot next to the library book drop. All returned checks will be assessed a fee.

Portable basketball hoops and trash containers are not to be placed on village streets or right-of- ways.

No person shall operate any skateboard or motor vehicle on or over any sidewalk, except in crossing the same to go into a yard or parking lot. RVC Section 34-2-7

Landscaping can be done around meters. HOWEVER, NO landscaping or coverage of meters may be done which blocks the view or access or your water or electric meters. All landscaping must be kept pruned at all times. All landscaping is subject to removal for maintenance on the meters.

If you have a sewer problem (backing up, etc.) call the Village at 217-498-7192 and we will check to see if it is a Village problem or the homeowners. The village will assist you in determining the problem. However, the property owner is responsible for maintenance and repair of the service line.

The Village offers a sewer deduct meter that can be checked out for up to 3 days at a time. The meter will read how much water you use and deduct that consumption from the sewer portion of your bill. Another option is to use a water hauling service to fill the pool.

Please contact the Village Office for information. 217-498-7192 

The village does not offer a Senior Discount on water/sewer bills.

The village does not pick up tree limbs or trimmings. Residents may drop off tree and landscape trimmings at the village disposal site adjacent to Community Park. The site is opened for Resident Access on the weekends from April 1 through October 31. Residents may pick up a key at the village office to access the brush site during the week.

A Direct Debit Option is available for paying your water/sewer bill. The bill amount of your water/sewer bill can be deducted from your designated bank account on the 15th of each month. More information and the required authorization forms are at the village office.

Yes. The service provider utilized is Payment Service Network (PSN).


1 Community Drive
PO Box 618
Rochester, IL 62563-0618



Monday - Friday
7:30am to 4:30pm

Closed one hour for lunch on days with reduced staff

Closed Holidays and weekends